Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Unit 01 Assignment 01 Part 02

Research Log Activity

  1. What question did you try to answer?

    How does deforestation affect global warming?

  2. What search engine or engines did you use?

    I used Google and Yahoo! Search to research my topic. I chose these two because I have used them in the past and have therefore become more familiar with them.

  3. What search terms did you use?

    I used 3 different sets of search terms.

    1. deforestation affects global warming
    2. deforestation and global warming
    3. deforestation or global warming

  4. How many results did you get when you entered your terms? How many did you get when you used OR? Which set was bigger? Can you figure out why?

    Here are my results for each set of search terms:

    1. deforestation affects global warming

    Google – 502,000 Results
    Yahoo! Search – 2,100,000Results

    2. deforestation and global warming

    Google – 933, 000 Results
    Yahoo! Search – 6,900,000 Results

    3. deforestation or global warming

    Google – 932,000 Results
    Yahoo! Search – 6910,000 Results


    Clearly, the results were much higher when you use the word “OR” in your set of search terms. This is because unlike the word “AND” which indicates that both components are present, the word “OR” indicates that either one or both components are present. Therefore, it will return more positive results.

    Evaluation (http://todaysfunda.com/global-warming-and-deforestation/)

  5. What questions did you use to evaluate your results?

    Rather than using C.A.R.D.I.O to evaluate my results, I evaluated my results in terms of the following:

    Currency – Is the information up to date?

    Yes (December 15, 2008)

    Credibility – Is the source credible?

    The writer has not cited any outside sources, nor does she have any listed credentials.

    Coverage/Depth – How detailed is the material?

    The information is accurate. The author provides a lot of information which explains why and how deforestation affects global
    warming.

    Bias/Accuracy – Is the material subjective?

    For the most part, the article was factual and informative. However, the author did make a few calls to action. She is clearly an
    advocate of preventing global warming.

    Quality/Content – Was the information presented professionally (clear, well-written and organized)?

    Yes. The writer presented the information clearly. The piece was well written and well organized.

  6. What conclusion did you draw about the value of the site and why?

    Although the information seemed factual, the author did not have any credentials nor did she post any outside sources to verify her claims. Furthermore, it was quite clear that she was against global warming. For this reason, I would look at a few more sites to verify her claims.

  7. Having conducted this research activity, what questions came into your mind that you could use to continue your exploration?

    As I conducted this research one of the questions that came to mind was “How can we help prevent deforestation?” and furthermore, “How can we help prevent global warming?”

1 comment:

  1. Again, excellent!

    In item 5, you wrote "the information is excellent," but I wondered why you thought that if the site did not contain the author's credentials. In item 6, you mention that you "would look at a few more sites to verify her claims," which is good.

    The biases you need to consider are not only the author's, but your own. Perhaps you agree with her, making her information "excellent." Perhaps her information is "excellent." It's difficult to know when credentials are not present. Once you said you'd verify her claims on other sites, I was satisfied because that's exactly what you need to do if you are not reading a credentialed site.

    Good job! aline

    ReplyDelete